When we are young it is easy to fool ourselves into believing that all those degenerative and life-threatening diseases and viruses will only happen to other people. Or maybe, and it’s a BIG maybe, to us when we are old?
But are you really immune to both minor and major infections and will cancer pass you by? Are you free from allergies and do you rarely suffer from a cold? Statistics say probably not. So, if you want to answer yes to these questions, you’re on the right track. This course will show you how.
The concept that germs cause disease, proven by Louis Pasteur in the nineteenth century, generated the idea that disease could be beaten and health restored by destroying the outside agent. And so we entered the era of a ‘drug for a bug’ – based on the approach that disease is a spanner in the works, caused by something that needs destroying, preferably by doctor prescriptions.
While this approach has produced some very positive results, the concept of ‘combat medicine’ is failing to provide the much-needed breakthroughs for most of the health problems we face today. The alternative – and the only sustainable long-term solution – is to strenghten your immune system.
Think of your immune system as your own personal medical team, skilled in the art of natural healing, always on call, and always there to take preventative measures to avert a battle. Whether you are trying to prevent or cure an illness, your immune system is your main line of defence. It is worth looking after it so that it can serve reliably, allowing you to enjoy a happy, healthy life.
Prevention – boosting the immune system – is better than cure is an old cliche. But in the hands of an informed consumer or herbalist, immune-boosting protocols are probably the most powerful medicine known to man. It’s not something the medicos wants you to explore. Not because they don’t believe in prevention, they do. But simply because it’s bad for business.
Why Your Immune System Needs Strengthening
Here are a few good reasons for working on your immune system:
- Your immune system determines how fast you age.
- With a strong immune system, you are almost invincible and should be able to lead a long, healthy and active life.
- Your immune system fights off the viruses, bacteria and other organisms which try to attack you and cause illness, from the common ones that cause colds and thrush to the rarer but often deadly ones like measles, meningitis, Legionnaire’s disease, Ebola, and tuberculosis (the #1 infectious disease in third world countries).
- Your immune system has the power to destroy cancer cells as they are formed.
- Your immune system empties your body’s dustbin every day, getting rid of dead cells, dead invaders, and toxic chemicals.
- Your immune system offers protection from radiation and chemical pollutants.
- Left to deteriorate, your immune system could lose control and cause allergy problems or autoimmune diseases like arthritis.
- With a struggling immune system, you are ill more often, more seriously and for longer.
Prevention is better than cure is an old cliche, but it is the essence of herbal therapeutics. In the hands of an informed consumer and skilled herbalist prevention is probably the most powerful medicine known to man. Sadly, it’s not something the medicos want’s you to know about. Not because they don’t believe in it, they do. But simply because it’s bad for business.
Enemies of the Immune System
Modern living tends to play havoc on our immune systems – stressing, rather than strengthening, the immune army.
- Smoke (tobacco and other – chimneys, incinerators, etc.)
- Pollution (busy roads, aeroplane flight paths, industries, etc.)
- Carcinogenic chemicals (industrial or domestic)
- Drugs (legal, illegal, medical)
- Food additives (especially colours and flavours)
- Unhealthy diet (e.g. too much sugar, refined carbs = the SAD diet – standard American diet)
- Obesity or starvation
- Poor mineral balance
- Poor vitamin balance
- Inappropriate exercise
- Genetic defect
- Infections (from bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa, worms, etc.)
- Negative attitude to life
Pause and Reflect
Take some time to reflect on what you’ve learned. Then answer the questions below in your notebook. You are making notes? There are no right or wrong answers.
- Which of the reasons why our immune systems need boosting applies to you?
- How many of the enemies of the immune army are under are own personal control?
- Did you have any “AHA” (Eureka) moments? What were they? Share your top AHA in a Reply below.