You may have heard some buzz about how strict and difficult the Banting diet is, and how many people try and fail. We contend that these complaints and the fallout are largely due to a flawed approach by people who follow cookie-cutter approaches.
If you google “banting diet”, you’ll get bombarded by a dizzying amount of multimedia information, some of it excellent (like Jonno Proudfoot’s Real Meal Revolution), and some of it highly questionable (we won’t mention those ).
Simply exposing yourself to this information overload can create stress, anxiety, potential booby traps, and failure. Consequently, our goal with this Quick Guide to the Banting Diet is to give you a proven roadmap you can follow.
Why Health Enthusiasts Choose The Banting Diet
When you constantly need to be functioning at your very best – both mentally and physically – low-carb banting and keto diets consistently outperform other diets. Here are some of the things you’ll experience when following a banting eating plan:
Burn Fat Fast. If you’re looking to shed excess body fat and lean down FAST, then banting and keto are exactly what you need.
Supercharge Your Energy. Studies have shown that ketones are a more efficient fuel source than glucose, providing more energy per unit of oxygen.
Increased Mental Clarity. Due to the fact that banting calls for the reduction of sugars and processed carbs, being in ketosis gives you a significant boost in mental clarity
Better Sleep. The lowering of blood sugar levels as a result of eating low carb has been shown to greatly increase the quality of your sleep.
Clearer Skin. The banting and keto diets have a high level of fat and help improve dry and irritated skin, keeping inflammation to a minimum.
You might be thinking… this sounds too good to be true! However, if you start following a personalized banting diet, you can potentially revolutionize your health just by enjoying delicious foods.
Think of this as a way to feel better and embark on a guided health journey that will benefit you in the long run.
What Is the Banting Diet?
According to Professor Tim Noakes the Banting Lifestyle advocates:
- A diet high in healthy fats and low in carbohydrates (‘carbs’).
- Eating only real, healthy and fresh foods.
- Following a nutritionally dense diet comprising meat, fish, eggs, nuts, healthy fats, and a variety of vegetables and fruit.
- Eliminating additives, chemicals, preservatives and other harmful ingredients.
What Banting Is Not
Banting or low-carb-high-fat (LCHF) is a LOW carb, not a NO Carb, way of eating.
While we know that humans do not have to eat carbohydrates to be healthy and energetic, the banting diet does not advocate the complete elimination of carbohydrates. The best level of carbohydrate consumption varies from person to person and depends on the individual’s metabolic condition. 
- Banting is not vegetable and fruit free. Banters eat a good variety of healthy whole vegetables, primarily those that grow above ground.
- Banting is not a high-protein diet. It’s a moderate-protein diet.
- Banting is not a fat feast. Banters omit unhealthy processed fats and focus on whole natural fats. Carefully controlling consumption.
- Banting is not dangerous. Very low-carb, high-fat diets (ketogenic diets) have been used since the 1920s to treat illnesses such as epilepsy and no harmful effects have resulted from a long-term ketogenic diet.
- Banting is not either low carb or keto. It is both. Successful Banters cycle through at least four low carb phases which include a keto phase. Scroll down for more info.
The Banting Diet is NOT a Quick Fix
Banting is NOT a diet, it is NOT a fad and it is definitely NOT a short cut to weight loss. It is a shift from how you are currently eating to a new way of living; in short, it is a lifestyle change. – Prof Tim Noakes
Most importantly, banting is NOT a one-size-fits-all eating plan…
You need to remember that there is not such thing as a one-size-fits-all lifestyle or diet. Each one of us is unique and our nutritional needs must be treated as such. – Prof Tim Noakes
We’d like to help you avoid the hazards of most one-size-fits-all approaches; that’s why we’re sharing this uniquely pragmatic approach to banting and ketogenic eating. Following this approach will protect you from the pitfalls of those questionable programs that befall so many ill-prepared and misinformed banting and keto enthusiasts.
Because you already have the MealGarden App, NutriServe’s Basic Banting Diet Toolkit is the perfect add-on to your Healthy Meal Planning library.