Good cooking is an art, as well as a form of intense pleasure… A recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. – Madame Jehane Benoit, chef
The first and most obvious reason for cooking with herbs and spices is that they can transform your ordinary recipes into exciting culinary experiences. But there are even more good reasons to master the magic of cooking with herbs and spices:
- They will stretch your budget. By using herbs and spices in your everyday cooking, you can turn cheap staple ingredients into tasty dishes.
- They offer you variety and gastronomic delight for every individual in the family.
- You can easily make your own connoisseur pantry products like herb oils, vinegars, and mustards, which make great gifts. You can even turn this hobby into a part-time or full-time business venture.
- It is always a pleasure to receive compliments for our culinary creations. Herbs and spices will certainly earn you compliments when entertaining friends and family. Used skilfully they really are the ‘cherry on the cake’ for all your dishes.
Then for the more health conscious amongst us, there are many more advantages:
- Fresh herbs especially are wonderful sources of concentrated micro-nutrients, like antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. All of these are in an unadulterated natural form.
- In these times of ‘instant’ vegetables – in tins and frozen packs – it is clear that herbs and spices can do much to improve the taste and nutritional value of our veggies.
- Certain herbs and spices will stimulate your appetite and improve your digestion and general health and well-being.
- They are vital in low salt and low-fat diets.
One can truly say that herbs and spices give your cooking that ‘something special’!
Pause and Reflect
Which of the above benefits resonates the most with you? Share your thoughts in a Reply below.