With the crops in the soil, it is time to start watering, fertilizing and managing pests and diseases until your crops are ready for harvesting.
In this module, we’ll introduce you to the four Go Food Gardening cycles that help you become a successful and productive food garden caretaker.
Upon completion of Module 7 you will be able to:
- Know when and how to water your crops to ensure optimum growth
- Use mulches to conserve water and combat weeds
- Know when is the best time to harvest your crops
- Optimize your watering strategies
- Implement a step-by-step time-saving weeding strategy
- Give your plants the exact amount of nutrients they need
- Implement advanced strategies for dealing with and preventing pests and diseases
- Harvest your crops when at their best
- Continuously improve your results with each new sowing
- Cook up a storm
A note on Cooking
In the end, this is what it all boils down to – throwing very impressive dinner parties with your home-grown green cuisine. Our food gardens become living proof that food that is healthy and food that gives pleasure are not mutually exclusive.
Putting it another way: It’s no use having a garden full of crispy fresh herbs, vegetables, and fruit and you don’t know how to showcase their best qualities in the kitchen.
Take Action !
Before you start with this module do the Growing Skills Self-Assessment
Once the seeds are up, or the seedlings are established, we need to care for them until they are ready to be harvested. This ‘maintenance’ cycle is mostly responsible for the quality and quantity of your crops. Any mistakes made here will have a direct impact on your harvests.
Only registered students can access all the units. TAP to UNLOCK the Beginner Class Units.