Learning from our own experiences is critical to our success as food gardeners. In Go Food Gardening we make a deliberate effort to learn as much as possible about the general growing conditions in our gardens and about growing each individual crop.
Adapt this checklist to help you consistently grow bigger and better backyard crops.
- How did the quality of my crops compare with store-bought produce?
- If it was worse, what did I do wrong?
- How can I improve?
- How did my yield compare with average crop yields?
- Did I have too little or too many portions?
- Was my harvest window too long or too short?
Pests and Diseases
- What pests and diseases troubled my crops?
- What actions did I take?
- What worked, or didn’t work?
- How can I prevent this from happening again?
- What was the weather like?
- What are my overall impressions about the crop?
- Will I grow it again?
- Do I need to grow more or less next season?