This rhubarb pecan muffin recipe is a good example of how one can elevate an already great recipe to the next level with the simple addition of just one herb.
Rhubarb, apple, orange and pecans are great flavour pals – they all go well together. But rhubarb and ginger is a match made in heaven which adds a totally new dimension to this recipe.
We prefer using fresh ginger, but you can substitute it with one heaped teaspoon powdered dry ginger.
Rhubarb Pecan Muffins with a Twist
- 1 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) flour or another cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbs canola oil or peanut oil for an added twist
- 2 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbs ginger finely grated
- 1 1/4 cups finely-chopped rhubarb
- 2 Tbs chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to mix evenly.
- In another bowl, combine egg whites, oil, unsweetened applesauce, orange peel, orange juice and ginger. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth.
- Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but still lumpy. Stir in the chopped rhubarb.
- Spray muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with paper or foil liners. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups, filling each cup about two thirds full. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rate This Recipe
Five stars are the highest and one star is the lowest. Everyone has their own thoughts on what each star represents, but for our purposes they’ll represent the following:
5 Stars = Best Ever!
4 Stars = Loved it!
3 Stars = Liked it
2 Stars = Not Bad
1 Star = Barely edible